Public Announcement of Research Grants
Third Round of the Affiliate Programme
April 2023/ March 2024
We kindly invite scholars to submit proposals for the Affiliate Programme ‘The Iranian Highlands’ 2023 to carry out their research in cooperation with an SPP 2176 associated university or institution in Germany.
Framework of the Research Grants
As part of the priority programme ‘The Iranian Highlands: Resilience and Integration of Premodern Societies’, a Fellow-Associate-Programme was introduced in 2021 and 2022 to support short-term research stays for early career investigators at universities or at research institutions that are associated with the SPP 2176 Iranian Highlands.
‘The Iranian Highlands’ is an interdisciplinary research programme focusing on expressions of resilience, the social and physical environments, and long-term developments in premodern Iranian Highland communities. It is represented by now 16 individual projects employing archaeology, archaeometry, geo-sciences, ancient history, and linguistic research. Key research areas are: i) Landscapes and raw material regimes; ii) Daily life and institutions; iii) Mobility and networks.
Please read also here: https://iranhighlands.com/topics/
Requirements of the research Grants
Applicants must submit separate applications for travel cost and research expenses. A detailed breakdown of research expenses is necessary. For both forms of application (travel and research) the agreement of the respective institution is required.
- is open to all Iranian researchers after their MA/ PhD-exam
- supports women who need additional support for family, especially children. In addition to the fellowship grant, a family allowance may be granted.
- shall include a duration of three months, including a stay in in Germany of at least two months.
- After approval, additional coaching or trainings (e.g. academic writing, preparing applications) can be individually coordinated and possibly additionally financed.
The following average rates can be considered as a guideline for the grants of the Affiliate-Programme:
- Travel costs / fellows Iran-Germany-Iran and in Germany: up to € 2500,00 ,-
- Research grants for Iranian scientists: up to € 2500,00 ,-
- Family allowance: up to € 1500,00 ,- (shall especially support women, parents, families, e.g. extra travel costs, costs for relatives or childcare or other)
Your applications should include:
- a CV
- a brief project description (500-700 words) including goals, methods, and a research schedule
- a feasible and detailed breakdown of your budget plan, including publication, laboratory and any other expenses, justification of the family allowance.
- a commitment from the host university or institution for research and/or hosting costs.
The Programme supports a variety of research activities (e.g. archaeological, laboratory or archival research, museum studies, cultural heritage concepts or workshop or conference contributions) but proposals must relate to at least one of the key research areas listed in the introduction. Proposals must be submitted in English.
The deadline for submission is the 30th of April 2023. Proposals submitted after the deadline and proposals that do not meet the requirements listed above will not be considered.
For questions, the committee of the grants programme is at your disposal. Please don´t hesitate to contact us/to contact Dr. Natascha Bagherpour Kashani: email@example.com
The Iranian-German DFG Priority Programme (SPP 2176)